Thursday, January 27, 2011

Pot Roast & Mashed Potatoes

You can't be a farm girl without meat and potatoes.  This was the standard fare in our house growing up... meat, potatoes, and "what kind of vegetable do you want?" from Mom.  Although I've tried many new and different dishes since I've been out on my own, meat and potatoes is always the go-to comfort food.  Here's my recipe for pot roast served with mashed potatoes.

Pot Roast

2-4 lb chuck or sirloin roast
5 carrots, cut into 3 inch pieces
2 medium onions, sliced
2-3 c. beef stock
1 package whole button (white) mushrooms
3-4 T. onion soup mix

1. Sear roast on all sides in a fry pan with olive oil.
2. Pour broth into a slow cooker, then place the roast in the slow cooker.
3. Place onions and carrots around the roast. Sprinkle onion soup mix on top of the roast.
4. Place mushrooms on top of the roast.
5. Cook on low 8-10 hours.
6. Remove meat from slow cooker. Clean - remove bones and fat.  Shred meat and place in a large serving bowl. Add carrots, mushrooms, onions, and broth.
7. Serve with (or on) mashed potatoes.


PW's Mashed Potatoes

2 1/2 pounds potatoes, any kind will work, red are my favorite
1/2 stick regular butter
4 oz. softened cream cheese (1/2 regular pkg.)
1/4 c. heavy cream
Salt & pepper

1. Clean the potatoes, and cut into quarters.  Peel them if you want, I usually don't - I like the color and texture it adds to the final product.
2. Cook the potatoes in boiling water until fork-tender.  Drain water and then mash potatoes over low heat. 
3. Add in softened butter, cream cheese, heavy cream, salt and pepper, and continue to mash until combined.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to try this, I know Emily has made this several times and loves it! Keep posting...

    ReplyDelete