Saturday, January 22, 2011

Grandpa Jim's Chicken

The thing we probably remember most about Grandpa Jim was his story telling.  Everything from the spilled milk incident with his basketball buddies to telling off the general during the Koren War.  I remember something else about Grandpa Jim.... he made the best baked chicken.  It wasn't anything fancy, but it was tender and moist, and would melt in your mouth.  I asked him to share the recipe with me, so I could make it myself.  And now I will share it with you... especially with my Mom and sisters because you know first hand how tasty this chicken is.


1 whole fryer, cut into pieces
4 T. butter
Dried minced onion
Salt & pepper

1. Lay out 4 sheets of aluminum foil, and spray with no-stick spray.
2. On each sheet lay a piece of chicken.  Two sheets for each one of the breast pieces, and then group a thigh, leg, and wing together for the two remaining sheets.
3. Place 1 tablespoon of butter on each, sprinkle with the minced onion, salt, and pepper (to taste).
4. Wrap up the aluminum foil to seal the packets and place in a 9x13 pan.  Pour about 1/2 inch of water in the bottom of the pan.
5. Bake at 400 until the water starts to boil.  Reduce heat to 250 and cook for 2-3 more hours. Chicken can be cooked in a conventional oven or in a counter top roaster.

Thanks for sharing Grandpa Jim!

No comments:

Post a Comment