Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Strawberry Jam

So... I know it's been a while since I've posted, and I realize that strawberry season is just about over, but I do want to share this recipe for strawberry jam.  You can either try to make a batch quick if you still have strawberries in your area, save the recipe for next year, or if you get the craving in the middle of winter, you can use some of the berries that you froze to make the jam when the snow is flying.  (Don't use store bought berries though, the flavor doesn't even compare.) 




Strawberry Jam
Adapted from the Ball Blue Book of Preserving

2 1/2 quarts of strawberries
6 T. powdered pectin (1 standard size box)
1/4 c. lemon juice
6 c. sugar

1. Wash strawberries, and remove stems.  Crush strawberries.
2. Combine strawberries, pectin, and lemon juice in a large sauce pan.  Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Use a pan at least twice as big as the volume of the strawberry mixture.  When it starts to boil, you want to give it plenty of room, or you will have a very big, sticky mess to clean up.  And yes, I am speaking from experience.
3.  Add sugar, stirring until dissolved.  Return to a rolling boil.  Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam, if necessary.
4.  Ladle hot jam into hot jars, leaving 1/4" head space.  Adjust two-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.  Yield 12 half pints.


Enjoy!

I use the Ball Blue Book of Preserving all summer long.  I would highly recommend purchasing one if you are going to be doing canning and freezing.  The book is full of great recipes, and also provides the basic information if you are just getting started.

P.S. Thanks Mom for all of those hands-on lessons in canning while we were growing up. Back then it felt like a chore, and now it's one of my favorite things to do.



1 comment:

  1. I am glad you posted this. Makes making strawberry jam not seem so intimidating. I will be using this next summer!

    And I have a book of preserving...guess I will have to start using it :) :)

    ReplyDelete