Saturday, February 12, 2011

Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce

My favorite spaghetti sauce is the homemade variety that has become a tradition for the Agnew ladies.  We make as much as we possibly can each fall, but it's never enough.  And when you are in the middle of February and trying to ration the delicious sauce, you have to come up with some alternatives.  I have lots of home canned tomatoes in the pantry, so I decided I needed to find a recipe to use them.  Here is a recipe that I found on Tasty Kitchen from Liliputtin, which I adapted slightly, and really enjoyed.  It's not the original, but it is a nice alternative when you are trying to make the original last just a little bit longer.



Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce

1 pound grass-fed ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 quart home canned tomatoes (or 2 14-oz cans from store)
1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
1 6-oz. can tomato paste
1 whole bay leaf
3 cloves minced garlic
2 t. dried oregano
2 t. dried basil
1/2 t. dried thyme
2 T. honey


1.  In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, onions and peppers until the beef is brown, and the vegetables are soft.
2. Transfer beef, onions, and peppers to a slow cooker, and add the remaining ingredents.  Stir well to combine.
3. Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours, or on low for 5-6 hours.


Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I tried out this recipe this past weekend and was quite delighted that I finally found a spaghetti sauce recipe that we all like. Yummy! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete