Saturday, May 28, 2011

Vegetable Garden 2011

Gardening is something that everyone can do.  Even if it’s a window box of herbs in your kitchen or a large backyard garden, we can all do our part to grow our own food.  Not only will the homegrown goodness taste better, it will save you money and will reduce the impact of long-distance food. (Click here to find out how far a carrot travels to get to your plate.)  My garden this year has started with several containers at home with herbs and greens (lettuce and spinach) and cherry tomatoes.



In the next week or two I will also be planting a 25’ x 25’ plot at a local community garden.  I’m planning on planting potatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, eggplant, tomatoes, carrots, peppers, and sunflowers… and anything else that I have room for. My goal this year is to grow food that we can eat and enjoy during the summer.  When it comes time for canning and freezing, I will be supporting the local farmers to purchase strawberries, tomatoes, blueberries, peppers, and apples. Click here to find a farmer in your area.



I will be doing my best this summer to keep you updated on the status of the garden, weeds and all.  I will also be sharing tips and instructions on preserving the harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment