Saturday, January 7, 2012

Potato Bread

Happy new year everyone!  At least those of you who still visit this blog occasionally.  I have two resolutions this year.   The first is to blog more often, at least once a week.  The hustle and bustle of the holidays kept me away, but I am back and have lots of good recipes to share.  The second resolution is to learn how to make bread.  I've tried and been less than successful in the past.  But this is a new year, and I'm going to give it another try.  I might even try some gluten free recipes, we'll see.  First up is potato bread, courtesy of my sister, Ruth.





Potato Bread

3 c. lukewarm water
1 1/2 T. granulated yeast
1 1/2 T. salt
1 1/2 T. sugar
1 c. mashed potato
6 1/2 c. unbleached, all-purpose flour

1. Mix yeast, salt, sugar, mashed potato and water in a large mixing bowl. (I use my KitchenAid mixer).
2. Add in the flour, and mix without kneading.
3. Cover and let rest 2 hours at room temperature until dough rises and then collapses (If your house is like mine - a little chilly, use the warm oven method: preheat the oven to 200 degrees while you are mixing the dough.  Turn the oven off, cover the bowl with a dish towel, and place in the oven until risen.)
4. Once the dough has risen, remove it from the oven. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Mold the dough into two separate loaves and place on a baking stone.  The dough will rise slightly while the oven is heating up.  Before I place it in the oven, I tuck the sides up and under the loaf and reshape it slightly.  You don't want the dough too close to the edge of the stone because it will expand while cooking.  
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes.  Cool slightly before slicing and serving.  This bread freezes well, so enjoy one fresh and put the other in the freezer to enjoy later.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment