So, I know I just posted a blueberry recipe a little while ago, but when you love blueberries, you find new recipes to try with them... especially when you have 23 quarts of them in your freezer. Don't have time to make a pie from scratch? Cheat a little and whip up these tasty blueberry pie bars. You'll be glad you did.
Blueberry Pie Bars
Adapted from Julie@savvyeats
For the crust:
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 t. baking powder
1 1/2 c. all-purpose or whole wheat pastry flour
1 t. lemon juice
1 pinch salt
1/2 c. cold butter
For the filling:
1 c. sweetened, condensed milk
1 1/2 T. vanilla extract
1 c. all-purpose of whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 c. melted butter
3 c. blueberries
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9"x13" baking pan.
2. In the bowl of your stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix together the sugar, baking powder, flour, lemon juice, and salt. Cut the stick of butter into 8 pieces, and add to the flour mixture. Mix together to work the butter into the flour mixture, until the butter is in pea-sized chunks.
3. Evenly press the dough into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.
4. While the crust is baking, blend the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, flour and melted butter until smooth.
5. Pour the filling over the crust, spreading evenly over the whole crust. Sprinkle the blueberries over the filling, and press down lightly on the berries to set them into the filling.
6. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the top begins to firm up and the edges begin to brown. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting and serving.